The journey to becoming a plant powered person can be taken in small bites. Most people like to tread gently and begin by adding one or two meat, fish and dairy free meals each day. And of course there are those who are happy to leap in and embark on the Plant Powered Life style with gusto. Choose the path that is right for you and then commit to it for a least one month. During the month notice this new way of eating is affecting you. Do you wake more refreshed in the morning? Are you enlivened? Is your mind becoming sharper? How is your digestion?
Simply notice, be gentle with yourself.
1. Choose food that is in season and as far as possible eat locally grown food.
2. Give yourself time to prepare your meals. You may be surprised just how quick it is to create a wholefood plant based meal. Make it a family affair.
3. If you are going to cook your plants, treat them with respect and don’t kill the delicate micronutrients by over cooking.
4. Eat a variety of veggies. Make your plate a rainbow of colours. A symphony of nutrients.
5. When planning a meal, choose a variety of cooked and raw dishes. Even if the raw element is sliced cabbage with a drizzle of lemon juice or grated carrots topped with a sprinkle of fresh coriander.
6. Include grains and legumes in your menus. Experiment with protein packed quinoa, chickpeas, or yellow split peas. Choose from the many varieties of whole grain rice available at health food stores. Not forgetting beans and lentils for a super high protein option.
Find lots of wholefood plant based recipes and ideas at Joy of Yum.